Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Last Meal in the Lubéron

After a week of getting to enjoy my best friend from college, Robin, and her husband Jim, it was time to go home to Istanbul.  I have never been around someone recovering from chronic illness. Jim amazed me with his ability to withstand the everyday discomforts of his recovery with good humor.

I kept asking myself, "would I be able to be as pleasant to be around, as he is, if I was in his shoes?" Because Jim's lack of balance, post brain-surgery, makes it hard for him to leave the house or even walk from room to room, Robin puts lots of thought and effort into how to bring the world to him. I hope I helped in some small way.

I asked her, "how would you take care of him physically if you didn't have access to your resources?" She said, with emphasis, "I have no idea." We were silent for a moment in complete acknowledgement of how hard it must be for those struggling with brain-tumor recovery in their family but no ability to hire someone to come in and help.

Life can be pretty easy when nothing is going wrong.  When everything is going ok, it's easy not to think about what would be needed when catastrophe strikes.  Robin is my second friend from the same Women's College we went to who has had a husband with a brain tumor.  Luckily, my other friend's husband was French, and he received outstanding care that his wife, an American, raved about. But what about those Americans at home coping with something so completely over-the-top health-wise as a brain tumor? What about those Americans with inadequate health insurance coverage or no coverage? How do they do it?

I can't help but think Europeans have the answer and show an incredible REAL sense of community with their willingness to extend significant resources toward each other when their health needs help. Everything I have learned as an expat has made me believe in the European version of health care rather than the American version.  The Europeans have it figured out. It's not just an anecdote, the data about who lives the longest backs them up.  

  Lunch al fresco
amidst life-long friends,
with amazing comfort food,
and wonderful French wine.
I will NOT THINK ABOUT
the fact that the chicken's feet
are still there.
Yikes, there they are.
I'D RATHER THINK ABOUT
all the lemons that were used
to stuff him inside.
There are the lemons: peeking out.
Thank you, my dear, dear friends
for a wonderful week
in your beloved Provence.
Until we meet again,
most probably,
 in Singapore.
Bisous!

You might also like:










2 comments:

chaplain.cz said...

I endorse entirely you comments about European health care. And while there are people living poverty in Europe, it isn't over 15% of the population. The US is meant to be the richest nation in the world and yet the gap between rich & poor, as evidenced by the lack of health provision & social care for the less well off,is shameful.

Karen said...

Over 50 million Americans live without health insurance (the equivalent of 5 Czech Republics in population). Recently at a GOP debate, a question was asked to one of the candidates, "what should happen to someone who falls into a coma without health insurance?" The audience reaction of "let him die!" shows why I had to switch parties. http://tinyurl.com/6f64j8h

Additionally, the U.S. Census office just came out with its annual report on poverty noting US poverty is at the highest level in 52 years. http://tinyurl.com/5wp5bwt

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog