Saturday, August 27, 2011

Taking in the Provencal Village Charm of Cadenet, France

Who can resist the charm
of the plantain tree in the South of France?
I loved the idea of their legacy.
Everyone can plant a single tree
for future generations.
But do we?
Some can even plant more
and exponentially increase beauty.
I could not get enough of these trees.
They had such a peaceful quality
and their aging mottled skin inspired me.
Outside the village post office.
Notice the Liberte stamp representation
near the entrance.
A typical charming Cadenet exterior.
Shutters and windows of a certain size
are used everywhere.
In all colors.
 The inviting flowered fence (above) and 
exterior (below) of the Mayor's Office.
I believe this sign says that
Napoleon's drummer boy
was born in this home.

 I knew this famous name from history:
Victor Hugo, the author of
The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
  The hardware store merchants
were neighborly.
 Sometimes it was just fun to decipher a
French sign like this one:
Maison des Anciens
Or chat up the locals.
I loved the beans hanging down
from this French vine.
The French insistence on continuing
a unified Provencal "look"
did create charm.
The cherished their Provencal history
 and prioritized it higher
than an individual homeowner's desire
to make grand changes to their houses.
The French, who prize individual liberty
as much as any American,
know that sometimes agreeing
to the common good
(in this case, strict controls on the look of housing)
creates something greater than we can do so individually.

3 comments:

Carolyn Chambers Clark said...

You photos of flowers, trees, majestic buildings are powerful!

Thanks so much for your blog!

Carolyn

http://www.booksebookskindlebooks.blogspot.com

Aaron Myers said...

Hey Karen,
I just sent an email but I can see you are having an amzing time trapsing around France. I am jealous! My wife would be even more so. Beautiful photos.

Take care,

Aaron

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this "esprit de vivre ./. esprit de Provence".

may i say that i find your pix with a spontaneous and authentic "flair" which i truly appreciate. de-luvely ;)
and "la deux-cheveaux" - gave me a flash-back to my 1st lodger/roommate (in germany nevertheless anno 1989 nevertheless).
btw my 1st car in 1979 was une Renault 4 soc. "quattre-elle". oy.

greetz & salu
Angelika

(p.s. i found your blog via your comment on the "Frugal Traveller - Gender gap". i rarely comment but love to e.g. read and self-develop)

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog