Thursday, June 18, 2009

My favorite tea in Prague

I just discovered that the wonderful tea that sustained me in every Czech restaurant and cafe is available for sale in the States. The delicious teas of Harney & Sons are served everywhere in Prague, however, I could never find them on the shelf for sale at a Prague grocery store so I could make great tea at home.

In the States, they are available at Barnes & Noble. I've probably walked by them a million times and never noticed. And of course, they are also available via the Internet but it never occurred to me to look until I wanted an image for this blog post. The tea names are slightly different in the States but I've already figured out which one is Bangkok green tea. Heavenly comfort is soon to be brewed in a teapot near me.

3 comments:

Zoe Brooks said...

Ah Karen, if only you knew! British ex-pats all arrive back from the UK with luggage bulging with British teabags - Typhoo or PG Tips, as no Czech tea hits the spot. It is the one thing we are addicted to and what an addiction!

There is for starters twice as much tea in a British teabag than the ones here in Czecho, but even if you put 2 bags in the cup, the resulting tea still doesn't have the strength.

The BBC recently ran a story about how Polish building workers returning home after working in the UK have also caught the bug and are now importing British teabags.

Karen said...

If I ever get to Cesky Krumlov, then you'll have to make me a proper cuppa so I can become a tea snob in addition to my new beer snob status.

Zoe Brooks said...

You will be very welcome.

Not sure British tea is better, mind; just more powerful and more addictive. A fellow Krumlov expat has just flown to Rome, home of superb coffee, and what is packed in her luggage? Yes British teabags and a tea-making device!

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog