Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sunday Morning, Before Tourists, at Old Town Square

The Jan Hus Memorial on the square. Jan Hus was the Czech equivalent of Martin Luther. He is virtually unknown in the West.

How did this magnificent
baroque church end up with these buildings
in front of it?
Churchgoers must pass through a passageway
to get inside the church.

I attended one Sunday because I simply
could not resist the beautiful ringing bells.


One of a million examples of Czech
craftsmen's attention to detail.
I love this tilework!


No people yet. Only peace, quiet, and snow.

7 comments:

Michael Carøe Andersen said...

Wow I've never seen Old Town Square that empty. You must have been up early :)

Sher said...

Hi Karen,
These are great pictures! What did the inside of the church look like? I don't think I've been in there yet!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, I have tagged you here in this post: http://prague.today.com/2009/02/10/seven-things-and-a-why/

Karen said...

This inside of the church is gorgeous and full of bling like all Czech baroque churches! It's magnificent. Of course, I forgot that I wouldn't understand a word they were saying....

Karen said...

Michael, I love to go on early Sunday morning walks throughout Old Town when no one is about. I can poke my nose into all sorts of corners.

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! I really should convince Michael for us to go see Old Town Square early in the morning when I'm next in Prague!

Anonymous said...

The Church of Our Lady before Týn is gothic. Its mobiliary is baroque.

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog