Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I Don't Even Have to Explain this, do I?

I don't even have to explain this because you intuitively understand it, don't you? Would people from all over the world know which floor was the basement level in this elevator?

If this elevator existed in America, would someone using it need to speak English so they know that:
B stands for Basement,
LL stands for Lower Level,
L stands for Lobby,
and M stands for Mezzanine?

Have you ever seen a young person struggle to understand the concept of negative numbers? Wouldn't they have an easier time of it if this was their first interaction with -1?

Doesn't it make more sense that the ground floor is zero and then you add one each time you go up?

America, let's adopt this system. It's better.

2 comments:

Mariecel said...

It is a much better system, isn't it? I remember telling my mother that I lived on the third floor, not remembering that the floor numbering system is different in Canada. She was so confused when she visited. "I thought you lived on the third floor. Why are we still going up another flight of stairs?"

Sher said...

Yes, this does make more sense...at least when I'm here! When I go back to the US, then I revert somehow...it's very strange, but normal! Going back and forth is a little like a light switch going on and off!

 
Travel Sites Catalog All Traveling Sites Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas International Affairs Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory expat Czech Republic website counter blog abroadWho links to me? Greenty blog